Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 2nd degree burn on my hand, and the nutse

practitioner prescribed lidocain... do i...
I have a 2nd degree burn on my hand, and the nutse practitioner prescribed lidocain... do i keep it on or wash it off after applying?
9/23/2017
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

You should keep it on your burn site after application.

Avoid washing it.

Try to massage it properly on affected area to make it absorb.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Okay... for some reason the prescription said to take orally???Do I need to take it orally?It seemed weird to me, so I just put it on and then washed it off. I then applied silver sulfadiazine on my wound and wrapped it...Should i do anything else

You should take OTC Motrin and Claritin.

Apply OTC Bacitracin ointment to prevent any infection 2 times a day.

Loose gauze with a sterile non-stick bandage should be wrapped.

You can also buy OTC burn dressing.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

What is the expected recovery time?Also, how often should i change the wrapping

Recovery time is around 3 weeks.

Dressing should be changed twice a day.

Hope this helps.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

It’s my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor