Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I want to send pictures of a condition I have for the

Hello, I want to...

Hello, I want to send pictures of a condition I have for the dermatologist to look at.

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Redness and irritation on the foreskin.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Had the symptoms for a few months but aspect is pretty new. Not sure what makes it worse or better. Went to see a urologist last week, he thought it looked like general irritation and gave me a cream.

9/18/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Age?

For how long you have such symptoms?

Have you noticed bumps/ blister on penis?

Burning urination?

Do you have history of unprotected sex with multiple partners?

Is it painful to touch? Associated itching?

Please share pictures.

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

I am 27 and have had these symptoms for several months.It's generally presented as a band of general redness, or a spot of concentrated redness. However more recently there appear to be areas of redness surrounding what look like pimples.No burning urination, but the red areas themselves are sore and painful to touch.No history of unprotected sex, but some unprotected oral sex.I went to a urologist who insisted it didn't look like any STD and that is was general irritation. He gave me Betamethasone cream, .05%. But I am wondering if general irritation would cause those pimple-like things on the skin!

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details and sharing clear pictures

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, from the description and after looking at pictures, it doesn't sound to be allergic condition or yeast infection.

This doesn't relate with any serious STD. Please be relaxed and stop worrying.

No need to get panic. It is not an STD.

Yeast infection can be due a fungus called Candida albicans. The medical term for this infection is candidiasis.

Such pimple, like bumps can be ingrown follicles.

To treat this condition you need to apply clotrimazole cream two times a day on affected part.
You should take tablet claritin 10 mg once a day to control itching for one week. You should take an anti-inflammatory tablet like Motrin or Aleve 500mg twice daily for 5 days.

You can apply a warm, moist washcloth or compress to the affected area 4-5 times a day to relieve discomfort and help the area drain.

You can try over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to affected area.

You should gently wash the infected skin twice a day with antibacterial soap or apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment.

You can use a clean washcloth and towel to dry off each time you wash.

You should wear cotton underwear.
You should wash the penis with warm saline water and dry off completely. Since yeast grows readily in damp conditions, you really need to dry the penis well.
Kindly follow above measures, and usually in 1 week, you would be free from symptoms.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

The clotrimazole would be to treat it if it was fungus - but you said it does not look like fungus, correct?Should I continue using the betamethasone?Do you suggest an antibiotic because you think it may be bacterial?Would you suggest mixing several creams? Is there a downside to this? For example, applying the betamethasone, hydrocortisone, and bacitracin, for example? And possibly the clotrimazole as well?

Dear,

I am sorry for the typing error. I am correcting it.

I want to say-

Well, from the description and after looking at pictures, it sound to be allergic condition or yeast infection.

You can choose either betamethasone or hydrocortisone cream, any of the two.

It would be better to use an antibiotic cream, this would rule any chances of getting infected.

Yes, you can mix such creams, and apply to affected part.

No issue with using combination of creams.

I am sure, this is not STD. Please be relaxed and stop worrying.

Just start with medications, as described above and you would become free from symptoms.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor