Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I believe our water softener is making us itch and break…

Customer Question
I believe our water...

I believe our water softener is making us itch and break out.

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Every time we take a shower we itch on our heads and face mostly but also body. I have red dry spots on my face and they are so red when I get out of the shower. I have always had very good skin.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

This has been going on for about 8 months. We had the company come out once and they put in a new system. We had them out again last week and their rep told us the brine was not right and we were getting way to much sodium. He flushed our lines and we did too. However, I had a shower yesterday and my face, ears were so bad when I got out of the shower. My nails are good but I am still itching and have to take Benedryl.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. My husband and I are in our 70's and in good health. We do not take long hot showers and I bathe every other day.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
9/17/2017
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 8 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

OK.

So we answer questions on line.

What is your question exactly?

Why are we itching all over after having a shower. I believe I have an allergy from the salt or brine. Did you read my initial conversation above?
When will I hear from you?

Yes

But you have had the water corrected

Isn't that right?

but after the correction and draining water lines I had a shower and the same thing happened. My face and ears have red blotches all over and I itch all over. We have been using cortizone cream and ointment but it doesn't help. Each time we take a shower it starts over again.

Well, of course we an not diagnose, you, that is not what we do. We answer questions.

I assume you are asking, what next?

Has a doctor looked at your rashes?

Oh, I thought you were a dermatologist and this is why I just paid $40.00. I would like a refund.

In fact I have advanced training in functional dermatology and I am a double board certified doctor.

But we do not replace your doctors visit.
Has any doctor actually seen these rashes?

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist