Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

There's these bumps on the back of my head that have

Customer Question
There's these bumps on...

There's these bumps on the back of my head that have developed more over time and caused lack of hair growth? What could that be and how could you get it to go away and allow my hair back their to grow back?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

Couple of years, I was last told it was common in African American males. That it was keloids or in grown hairs. I don't know but I do want it gone

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Dermatologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Please share the pictures

Alright

Well this is acne keloidalis or folliculitis koloidalis.

Treatment is most effective before scarring / patchy hair loss usually.

But you can still try topical steroid applications like betnovate for 3-4 weeks. Oral isotretinoin has also been found very effective in treating this condition. If there is any evidence of superimposed bacterial infection then 3months course with clindamycin / rifampicin would be required.

You need to discuss these options with your doctor and see how it goes.

I hope it was helpful.

Let me know if you need any further help

Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

The system says that you have requested a new expert.

Do you have a specific additional question?

No just a second opinion pertaining to my originally question. I feel it never hurts to get more than one source

I agree with the other expert that the appearance on the images is acne keloidalis.

This condition can be very hard to treat and there is no single treatment regimen that has bee shown to be effective in a sufficient number of people that it is considered first-line treatment.

Retinoids, either topical or oral, such as recommended by the other expert can help some people, but these are better at preventing the bumps, but not as good at getting rid of the bumps once they are present. Steroid creams also can help ease inflammation, but also does not get rid of the bumps.

Once this many bumps have developed, there typically would need to be direct treatment of the bumps. This can be done by injecting a strong steroid into each bump, called triamcinolone. The bumps also can be frozen by your doctor to try to get rid of them. (The over the counter freezing treatment marketed for warts is generally not effective.) There are also some other treatments that are used less often and typically only in stubborn cases, sucha s the use of radiation therapy or injection of a medicine that suppresses cell growth, called 5-FU. Surgical or laser removal are also options for stubborn bumps.

Once the bumps are controlled by one of these interventions, then use of retinoids or steroids for maintenance therapy would then be appropriate.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. If I have answered your questions, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?