Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I got bit by something in my sleep, woke with a bite

Customer Question
slightly itchy. Been itchy all...
I got bit by something in my sleep, woke with a bite slightly itchy. Been itchy all day, just tightly all over, having a histamine reaction, face flushed and such. Has not progressed all day. Have many allergies to foods and meds and not sure about insects. Could you experience all over itching with a bug bite? or facial flushing?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
9/13/2017
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 8 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

If you have a generalized reaction yes.

And this can be dangerous.

A general reaction usually requires and exam, and usually a steroid not just antihistamines.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

I had message my regular doctor who said you can have generalized itching with any bite and not to go to ER or urgent care unless I get hives. I have been itchy all day and this happened last night?

If it does not progress and get worse your doctor is correct.

However, we do not second guess your doctors advice, or determine you care here.

The signs of progression would be shortness of breath, pain, rash getting worse, muscle aches, etc.

please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

Ok, so far no hives, just a sense of itchiness if that make sense, the bite barely itches. Just face been slightly flushed all day and feel itchy. Can that be normal with a bug bite?

As you doctor told you, yes.

And as I told you above, yes.

It is a generalized reaction.

If it is not getting better, then a concern.

If it gradually gets better, OK.

Please click a 5 rating at the top of the page, as this is how we get full credit.

I am here for follow up as needed.

I mean can a bug bite or spider bite causes a general histamine response? Like itchy feeling and face flushing?

Yes. AS I said.

It can, and this is a more serious reaction.

Often treated with a short of steroid, or steroids taper.

Please click a 5 rating.

Come back for a follow up if needed,.

unlike my doctor you feel itchiness and facial flushing is not normal and may need steroids? Sorry I am confused a bit. So you would advise going to urgent care and don't think this is normal reaction to a bite of any kind?

No. I do not advise anything in your case, one way or the other.

I said that these reactions often need a steroid to clear up fast, rather than simply an anti histamine. But, sometimes they clear up without anything, or with simply an antihistamine.

Your doctor knows you, we do not. We do not treat or diagnose.

We only answer questions.

Can an insect bit do this yes.

These reactions are more serious than the bite alone.

If the reaction has not harmed you over an entire day, it is not likely to progress, but can in some cases.

That is the whole answer, but the treatment is between you and your doctor, who knows you and your case.

Sorry I thought you said at 1st could be normal and only need to go in if it progresses, then you said a serious reaction that needs a steroid taper.

Sorry , you are misunderstanding.

Please read my last answer, it explains this exactly.

you are saying, unlikely to progress, if it does not get better or gets worse, seek medical help? and this can happen with a bug bite, but can be more serious?

Yes.

Correct.

just to clarify, this can happen in a reaction to a bug bite, as a normal reaction, meaning it is part of the reaction to the bite?

As I have said several times, yes.

Please click a 5 rating at this point/.

We can only offer this service with good ratings, as this is how we are credited and paid.

Sorry, I am just worried. I have had serious reactions before. Just wanted to be sure I am clear on the fact that this can be part of what occurs with a bite.

So hopefully you are now clear.

it can.

Good luck.

I still have not seen a rating. Please do that now, then feel free to do a follow up.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath