Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

5 weeks ago I did a much too deep jessner + 30% tca

combination peel. I swelled so...
5 weeks ago I did a much too deep jessner + 30% tca combination peel. I swelled so much 24hrs after the peel that my eyes almost shut. Yes this was a terrible mistake. My face is still red but slowly resolving and I have been keeping it constantly moist and have been using aloe to reduce inflammation.I have two area on either side of my forehead that are starting to worry me. When my skin first peeled they we're quite deep red, not bleeding, almost like road rash. The rest of my skin was red but not as deep of red. These areas healed quickly but now are forming a different texture from the rest of my skin. I can feel the texture difference to the touch. I believe they are starting to form scars. So my question is. Is there anything I can do to reduce or prevent the scar formation? I have read that massaging the area aggressively helps break down the excess collegen formations, which is what I have been doing (with my fingers) but now the area now appears red and irritated from the massage. Before massaging the area, it was not red or irritated. I can definitely see a texture difference. Should I continue with the massage to try to prevent the scar tissue from forming or is this making things worse?Any help would be appreciated. I live in Canada where it takes months of waiting to see a dermatologist. I wish I could just walk into an office tomorrow. Please help!
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Thank you. I added 3 pictures of the areas on my forehead. This is approximately 5 minutes after aggressively massaging them and why they appear red and irritated in the pictures.

Got those--thanks

Does that area itch?

No there is no itching or pain at all. There was itching during the initial peel period. Initial peel period was complete 7 days after the peel.

Have you tried anything topical for this?

Off and on I have tried 1% hydrocortisone cream (otc). I have used aloe off and on, and then have just kept my face covered in vasoline..I guess my main concern is how best to reduce scaring as I'm almost positive it's happening due to different pore texture and a different texture to the touch..

OK

There won't be any scarring here

You've got what's called an inflammatory dermatitis there

You can try the hydrocortisone twice a day for two weeks but if that doesn't clear this up you'll need prescription tacrolimus cream

Please let me know if you need any more information

I feel like scar tissue is already forming. The picture maybe doesn't show this. The skin texture differs from the rest of my skin and has parts that are slightly more raised. Massaging it today has made it completely red and irritated and was probably not a great idea. Is there anything I can do?

Try a mix of the hydrocortisone cream and vitamin E cream

The skin texture is typical of inflammatory dermatitis but it isn't scar tissue

Thank you. Before massaging it today the color of the skin was mostly similar to the rest of my skin. I did see areas that looked whiter than the rest of my skin however, to me they look like scar tissue forming. After massaging it (and when I took the picture) it appears much redder than it has at any point over the past 3 or 4 weeks. Would inflammatory dermititis normally not be overly red? The redness is only present due to massaging.

It doesn't have to be overly red but I'm certain there's no scar tissue forming there

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice