Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been experiencing around 500 hair while shampooing…

Customer Question
I have been experiencing...

I have been experiencing around 500 hair while shampooing from past 4 5 weeks and on normal days around 200 hair

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Itching in my scalp

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have never had this sitiation in life before

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dermatology
9/9/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 11 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Are you on any medications?

33 i have been on supplements of vitamin d and iron
This shed i have never experiened in life

Are you a female or male?

Have beeen very emotional and crying almost every day...what am i going through doctor can you suggest
The hair on top look very thin and feels like burn
R u there doctor

Are you a female or male?

Female doctor 33 yrs old
Had been using minoxidil from 4 weeks but stopped yesterday as was very itchy after using that

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

In females the common causes of hair loss are following;

1) hormonal

2) aging

3) genetic

4) scalp problems like infections, allergies

5) vitamin deficiency

6) iron deficiency

7) hypothyroidism (low thyroid functions)

8) medications

9) telogen effluvium; recovery is spontaneous and typically occurs in 3-6 months

In your age group hormonal problems should be ruled out if the scalp local problems can be excluded by the physical examination, as the first step for the evaluation. Increase level of androgens can cause hair fall in females and the characteristic of this fall is generalized fall from whole of the scalp then the isolated area wise fall. You can ask your physician to get the hormonal estimation of thyroid and androgens. Continue with the vitamins and add iron supplements to it. Biotin (a vitamin) is available over the counter at health stores and you may start it, deficiency of which have been associated with baldness. Minoxidil, may help hair to grow, but since you have itching, you may stop it. A medication called as Spironolactone may help if hair loss is caused by too much male hormones (androgens).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Hello doctor my throid is gud but not sure about androgens and my other tests came out gud as well..since i have been shedding that much amount of hair from 4 5 weeks what do u think my shed main cause is...and will i b able to recover from it quickly or get back my hair volume
500 hair is definately not normal for me

Yes, you would be able to recover them back.

The hair loss can be due to;

a) Presence of systemic disease like thyroid, iron deficiency, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis.

b) Recent psychologic or physical stress

c) Medication or chemical exposure

So you doctor need to do the blood work for above systemic diseases and also do the following tests;

1) Hair Pluck -Trichogram

2) Hair growth window

3) Hair pull test

4) Hair shaft examination (Clip test)

Severe emotional and physical traumas have been documented to cause diffuse hair loss. Hair loss has been reported to occur 2 weeks after severe psychologic or physical trauma. Chronic telogen effluvium (CTE) refers to a diffuse hair loss all over the scalp and persists for more than 8 months. People present with hair loss with increased shedding and thinning of abrupt onset and fluctuating course. There is diffuse thinning all over the scalp, frequently accompanied by bitemporal (both the sides of scalp) recession. The causes can be;

1) Crash diet (inadequate proteins)

2) Drugs; coumadin propranolol, heparin, vitamin A

3) Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidisms

4) Severe illness

5) Physical stress like surgery

6) Psychological stress.

It is privilege assisting you.

do u think i have CTE, as i have noticed hair coming out from everywhere in the scalp
What medications are available for CTE and whne do u think the shedding may stop
I have not been that emotionally stressed and have no physical stresses as well...apart from everyday life stresses

For CTE, Minoxidil is used.

U think i have CTE and should i continue using minoxidil and when will the shedding stop approx

CTE can be a possibility. And Minoxidil should be used.

Ok doctor one last question
Minoxidil i have used from 4 weeks.. i have actually seen more shedding with it...my scalp actually feels itchy..how long it will take to settle
Will the shedding actuallt stop with it or not
My hair feel dry actually

Yes shedding in all probability would stop.

Itching is likely to stop in a week or two.

Minoxidil may be required for 3 months to apply.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl