DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

I have been using the sun as anti itch therapy for my

i have been using the sun as anti itch therapy for my itcbing but we have a big storm going on in Texas right now. I plan on going to a tanning salon as the itch is returning, normally the sun gives me about a week of relief. I lay out for about an hoyr. Do i request UVA or UVB rays and for how long?

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

What is your diagnosis

Dermatologic?

What has the dematologist told you this is from?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not seen a dermatologist yet. My Dr is sending me to allergist first???? I have severe itching im my legs and arms but no rash or bumps or not even dry looking. Showers are absolute hell as the itching is like fire. By mistake i found the sun helps the itcbing go away. I lay out for an hour on the weekend and the itching subsides for a week. I see the allergist tomorrow who i am sure will tell me its not an allergy and then i can tell my dr to send me to dermatology. Like i said... you look ay my skin not one imperfection and i never have any itching on my trunk.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read about the uv therapy and it works for me just never done the artificial so need to know about the UVA vs UVB
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am just doing this until i can get to see a dermatologist to see what is going on.

We do not recommend specific treatments, but I can tell you the medical standards.

There is no recommended does of tanning lights, none.

All are risky and you don't know what you have.

10 minutes of direct sunlight would be the maximum recommendation, maybe 5 if cloudy.

You might be covering up something that can be harmful, such as psoriasis which can be treated with light therapy, but specialized light.

There is no safe level of tanning salon lights.

IN addition, itching without a rash has a long differential diagnosis:

allergy, as you know

parasites

blood diseases, polycythemia vera

iron deficiency

b vitamin deficiencies.

Hidden cancers and infections.

Gall bladder disease.

Autoimmune disease.

I would seriously talk to the allergist tomorrow, and i would avoid all tanning lights.

A full spectrum, imitation sunlight, lamp, such as an ott lamp, might helps, and is not giving you excessive doses of UV.

OK, let me know if there are more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up