Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have this swollen bump outside my right knee. What do you

suggest I do? It looked...
I have this swollen bump outside my right knee. What do you suggest I do? It looked like a pimple but now it's all infected. I've had it for about a week.Could it be molluscus contagiosos? What can happen to me if I don't do anything but apply Polysporin? I would rather not take antibiotics. I had MRSA about a month ago.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Can you see the picture?

Got it--thanks

No it's not molluscum

You've got an open boil there and it's very likely staph

If you don't get antibiotics for this it will likely only get worse and you may become septic

So I strongly suggest you see your doctor about this

Please let me know if you need any more information

What kind of antibiotics would I be taking?

If I were your doctor I would treat this with either Septra DS or Levaquin

How about Bactrim?

That's the same as Septra--just a different brand name

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
It's been four days since I've been on antibiotics. The redness has gone away and there's no pain or itching this but there is a little bit of pus still coming out. Can I go swimming in a public swimming pool?

I wouldn't suggest you do that until it's completely healed and not draining anymore

Thank you

My pleasure

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice