Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Perhaps, it is regarding acute hair loss over aprroximately

one week. It appears...
Perhaps, it is regarding acute hair loss over aprroximately one week. It appears the entire shaft of hair is being lost. However, their is burning and pruritis to the scalp and intermittent mild scaling. Labs have been drawn including iron studies, thyroid, pregnancy tests, b12, and folate. There are no other medical conditions but there was a particular anxiety producing event 6 weeks ago (a wedding). My GP thinks it is psoriasis, however I there are no other plaques anywhere on my body and even in my hair I do not see any blatant plaques or silver scales... just flaking intermittently. I have received one day of topical mometasone 1%. My question is- does telogen effluvium come with burning and pruritis, can you lose full shafts of hair with psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis or severe dandruff?!
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Sorry mometasone 0.1%.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just burning and pruritis- I notice it mainly after I shower and the itching is through the day. It started about 4days ago or at least that is when I noticed it.... it is very subtle- I can sleep and carry on normal daily activities. I did lose some weight (perhaps 10-15lbs prior to my wedding over about a 3month period). I have an IUD and a remote (>8 years) history of bulimia, no other medical problems
8/19/2017
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

NO

Telogen does not typically come with burning and puritis.

But these symptoms without rash can represent a whole host of potential problems.

Iron deficiency

Thyroid disease

Allergy

Autoimmune disease [alopecia arreta, which I see as more likely than psoriasis].

Other

I suggest a dermatology consult if not done, and an internal medicine consult if not done.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Does alopecia areata come with a scale?!? And do you lose hair from the root. There are not any well circumscribed patches just diffuse loss throughout
I have not been referred yet- waiting to results of my labs first. The main associated symptoms being burning pruritis and flaking/scale. What differential diagnoses am I looking at with the burning/pruritis and with the flaking?!?
I have no exclamation point areas on my scalp either although I suppose it could be very early alopecia areata

alopecia arreta

other skin disease, eczema, posriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.

A sample sent to the lab should be definitive.

please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

does alopecia areata have a scale....

Yes or no.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Not sure why you would give a negative rating, which sees that I am not paid, and gives me a black mark with just answer.

I invited you back to ask more as needed.

Was that a mistake?

Is there a question not answered?

I am a family/emergency physician working far from dermatologists for the next 2 months. I asked for opinions/recommendations after paying out of pocket ( this is not free for those you are trying to help) your recommendations were superficial and easily found on a google search- having you say get a dermatologist is very unhelpful. I posed you with the different conditions it could be and basically wanted to know how I could tell them apart- you repeated the list I gave you with etc, then when I ask about scaling/flaking you say sometimes yes or sometimes no.
These are unhelpful to your patients that are well researched, I am trying to initiate as much self treatment as possible whilst I uncover the etiology of this horribly troubling condition but I am trying to ascertain what the primary differential diagnoses are in the interim.

I think there is confusion here

we do not diagnose here, nor treat.

We answer specific questions only.

We do not replace the need for a visit.

The answer yes, or no was because alopecia arreta can have both presentations. If you read my answer you should see that this is the case.

You have not attached a picture, and we are basing this differential on discussion.

You have a tentative diagnoses from your doctor and we do not over ride that.

The differential is correct.

I would be glad to look at a picture as well if you attach it.

Please reverse the negative rating with a 5, which gets me back in good standing with just answer.

We can proceed until you are happy

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

Thanks.

Once again, I strive for 5 work.

I did not see a picture.

I have looked at my answers and I would like to re-emphasize that itching and burning without a rash as you first presented this has a long differential of problems, including things like heavy metal toxicity, not considered by most physicians. My training entails board certification in internal medicine and integrative medicine with advanced training in functional medicine including functional dermatology, toxicology, neurotransmitter disease, and hormonal disease, among others. Regardless of what autoimmune cause turns out to be responsible here, conventional medicine might not have a great answer.

We can go into other aspects of forefront medicine as needed. For that, see my premium service offer, or find me by request as needed.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath