Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

My teen daughter has developed a itchy rash that is covering

My teen daughter has developed a itchy rash that is covering almost her entire body. It consists of small bumps that seem to have started low on her legs and slowly spread to her thighs, then arms, now her chest and collarbone area and up her neck. She is also waking up the last two mornings with swollen eyes and it almost looks like hives on her face. I have tried Benadryl and it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference with the swelling or itching. She scratches constantly day and night and I'm worried she's going to give herself a skin infection.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Taking a bath or shower makes it more itchy and inflamed. Cool compress helps. Swelling of her eyes mostly.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: About 2.5 months ago she had an illness that included sore throats with white tonsils, headache, neck ache, fever fatigue that lasted about 4 days. She was tested for strep and was negative. About two weeks after getting better, she started developing a similar itchy rash on her legs and jawline and cheeks. It started to improve and almost completely resolved. Then in late July she had her wisdom teeth removed surgically. That was about 3 weeks ago. She has healed nicely from the extraction. Now this rash has come back with a vengeance

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Notice eye swelling, bumps on cheek area and bumpy rash on firearm which also covers both arms, legs, neck, chest, mild on belly and back. No rash on palms or soles. The one Pic of ankle shows rash that has been an issue for over a year.

Got all of those--thanks

With that ankle situation--has a doctor ever looked at that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
was told eczema. And told psoriasis by another. And change diet. No diet change has ever made a difference.

OK

That one part definitely looks like psoriasis to me

As for the rest--that looks like an allergic dermatitis and we may not know what the particular trigger was for that

While she could try oral Claritin and topical Caladryl lotion I think it would be best for her to see her doctor for a cortisone injection and a course of oral prednisone

But she also should see a dermatologist for what I really think is psoriasis

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thank you.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you