Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband of 21 years just found out he has genital herpes.

My husband of 21...

My husband of 21 years just found out he has genital herpes. we have not had any sexual partners other than each other for this entire time. do i probably have it and don't know or is it possible i didnt get it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No we just found out and i take a baby aspirin buproprion and a multi vitamin

8/15/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

That is a very difficult question. Genital herpes can remain hidden for many many years for example 20 or 25 years before you can find out you have it.

The chances of transmission between partners is 35 percent and considering the fact that 80 percent of the individuals who have genital herpes are not aware of it in the US, this can be the case.

However, herpes is not a life threatening or a dangerous disease and the virus can be kept dormant by using antiviral medication. And this medicine also suppresses transmission. I would suggest that your husband contact his doctor and get prescription for the antiviral at least for himself.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor