Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

Right ear is itchy and red in front of it and there is

Customer Question

right ear is itchy and red in front of it and there is redness along my scalp on this side
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: it been like that for a few months. benadryl cream seems to help the itchiness but the redness gets worse after a shower
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: none
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 months ago.

Keeping in mind that we answer questions and do not provide a diagnosis or treatment, what is your exact question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the area in front and back of my right ear is itchy. Benadryl helps the itchiness, but the redness is still there. It seems to get worse after a shower
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

The other expert opted out

Could you please post a photo on this page for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Got those--thanks

You've got what's called an inflammatory dermatitis there and there may be some allergic component to it

For now I'd suggest over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream twice a day for a week and oral Claritin or Zyrtec

But of that doesn't clear it you'd need to see your doctor for a course of oral prednisone

Please let me know if you need any more information