Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Almost a year ago I went to kauai. It was so hot and humid…

Customer Question
Almost a year ago I...
Almost a year ago I went to kauai. It was so hot and humid there and I was at an event that lasted all day. Even in the shade it was hot so naturally I was sweating. Around my neck started to get extremely itchy and the only thing that relived it was a wet towel that I kept around my neck. That was the only day I had to stay there and never went back. From that day on, the base of my neck has been intensely itchy (all day and all night). Since then I have a patch of dark skin where it does itch.
Background:
Ive never had this in my life.
I have asthma but has slowed to almost nothing for about 10 years.
Dark skin (Filipino Hawaiian)
I have this no where else on my body
Im about '5"7 and 140 (i dont think Im overweight)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
8/3/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Dark, itchy skin can be a sign of metabolic or endocrine disease. It was probably coincidental that it started in Hawaii.I would recommend getting routine blood work for endocrine and metabolic diseases. You should also try an anti itch cream like Benadryl or Zyrtec. If that does not work, you can try steroids. If you don't have any metabolic or endocrine diseases, you should have that area biopsied.Let me know if you have additional questions.
If not please send 5 stars.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've lived in Hawaii all my life. It only happened when I went to a different island and if you are from here, the weather is different on different islands.

Do you have a picture to share?