Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having itchy skin for the past 2 weeks. The

Customer Question
I've been having itchy skin...
I've been having itchy skin for the past 2 weeks. The itching is moves around very quickly (within minutes of I don't itch it) and isn't red if I don't itch it (very hard and I usually end up itching it, but before I itch it, it looks ok)The feeling gets much worse at home, socially if the fan is on. I have tried washing all my clothes and vacuuming the whole apartment.Additionaly, I was the only one with the itch, but as soon as my wife tried my sleeping pants on she started itching too, no redness. And it was imediately better once she took off the pants.But since she's been feeling itchy here and there. A lot less frequent than me, but it's there.Could be be allergies or something more serious?(I am from middle East and allergic to nothing, my wife is Chinese and allergic to shrimp)
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dermatology
7/31/2017
Dermatologist: DermDoc, Doctor replied 11 months ago
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age?

Associated rash,bumps?

Excessive sweating?

Have you tried any new healthcare product,medication,supplement?

Loss of appetite?

Fever?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Thank you for your quick reply. Here is the information you asked about.What is your age? 24Associated rash,bumps? Neither. A hint of red when itchy but barely noticeableExcessive sweating? Not at allHave you tried any new healthcare product,medication,supplement? Nothing new. In fact the day that it started, I had nothing for food except a fruit shakeLoss of appetite? Not quite. I think I've been getting hungry less than usual, but I can always have a small meal out of habit and not feel forcedFever? None

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possible causes may include Allergic dermatitis,Dry skin.

Sometimes cause is unknown.

Unexplained itching without a rash is known as Pruritis and this needs to be worked up.

Scabies can be other possible cause. This will require 5 % Permethrin cream which is a prescription drug. You doctor can prescribe this for you. Everyone in the family needs to be treated irrespective of whether they have itching or not.

A complete blood count with peripheral smear,liver and kidney function tests should be done to rule out systemic disease. Generalised pruritis without a rash is a systemic disease in about 50 percent of people

In the meantime you should take OTC Claritin 10 mg in morning and Benadryl/Zyrtec at night.

You should use DIAL soap and use calamine lotion after a cool water bath.

You should wear loose fitted cotton clothes.

Eat a bland diet.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

And see your dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

It’s my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.