Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I have read that dark skin tones are prone to keloid

Customer Question

I have read that dark skin tones are prone to keloid scarring. Does that indicate that all skin tones that aren't exactly light (e.g., medium skin tone) are prone to this type of scarring?
My concern is that I want to reduce the susceptibility to this type of scarring because I have a medium skin tone (not light but not exactly dark either - tan/olive).
And if there is such a susceptibility, could I perhaps lighten the target area by bleach creams before the procedure to reduce this susceptibility? (the procedure being a lip lift, where scarring occurs right below the nose)
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Have you ever had a keloid form from a cut or similar injury?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not. Does lightening the skin through bleach creams reduce the likelihood of keloid scarring?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

No, lightening the skin beforehand wouldn't prevent a keloid from forming. The problem with people who do form keloids in is the skin itself and not specific to the darkness of their skin.

But it doesn't sound like you have that kind of skin so there should be no problem with your surgery

Please let me know if you need any more information