Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I believe I have a fungus on my thumb. It's always in the

Customer Question

I believe I have a fungus on my thumb. It's always in the same spot and has been for years, it goes away but never completely, then comes back getting flakier and dryer until a cut opens up. Then it starts to heal until the cut is crusty and thick, and goes away again. How do I get rid of this! I have pictures.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You don't have to call I was scrolling on my phone and hit the button
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you.

Thank you for providing the pictures.

May I suggest you purchase over the counter Tinactin and over the counter 1% Hydrocortisone Cream. Apply one and gently rub in, then apply the second. Do this twice daily and cover with non-stick pad or large band-aide. Do this for 10-14 days. If it does not totally resolve then you may need prescription strength medication, but this usually works. Do you have any contact with any chemicals, soil or are your hands in a wet environment? The answers will help me help you more efficiently.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got this while I was living in Mexico when I was 15, we had a ranch at the time, so all of those things, it's been with me in some state or another ever since.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Then the medications/treatment I suggested should work well for you.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

How is your thumb? Have you started the medications I suggested?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Dr, I have I bought a powdered anti fungal spray that has the same active ingredient as timactin, and have been using it, I also have the hydrocortisone but have not used it yet. It does not seem to be combating the fungus very well. Is it important I use both at the same time?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you need both to affect healing.