Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have severe eczema and so far have tried various

Customer Question
Hi, I have severe...

Hi, I have severe facial eczema and so far have tried various treatments under the supervision of a dermatologist and nothing has worked. These treatments include immunosuppressant therapy, light therapy (UVB) and various steroid creams. Any suggestions re the red light/ blue light therapy?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

I have had eczema from birth. Atopic eczema. I have had allergy tests done and appear to be allergic to everything so it is difficult to adjust diet and eliminate products accordingly.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Both sisters have lupus so auto immune seems to run in family. But I don't have lupus

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dermatology
4/22/2017
Dermatologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well the light therapy is effective for acne and wrinkles but not as such recommended for use in eczematous skin. You have pretty much used all options available including immunosuppressants, ultraviolet therapy and steroids. A combination of these can be used to bring a better accumulative benefit .

Please let me know if you have any more queries.

Here i am sharing quite a useful link that might help you ;

http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/treatment-of-atopic-dermatitis/

Oral options can be used if the eczema has been found resistent to topical options. These come with a few side effects though. A detail of options is elaborated in the link i shared above.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Although the link is informative, unfortunately it does not tell me anything new and I appear to have been through all options. I was hoping there would an alternative option. I have read about cryotherapy decreasing inflammation in eczematous skin and lowering histamine levels in the blood. I would be willing to pay privately for this treatment if there is any research to back it up?
Dermatologist: Dr. Captain, Dermatologist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Dermatologist

Hello, welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

Your Doctor: I am a Family Medicine physician, trained and board-certified in the US with active licenses and certification, and 10 years of experience in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynecology. I have advanced training in Integrative Medicine & Functional Medicine, Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-versed in Alternative Medicine. So far, 99.5% of the Justanswer community of customers has found my answers helpful, and I currently have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well !

Excellent Reviews: For your review, here is a direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

To You: I have read your post and your query, and your discussion with the other provider. I'm sorry for the stress this must be causing you! I can imagine you must be quite concerned, and I’m glad you’ve decided to get information from the experts, instead of randomly online. It sounds like you've been through the ringer, and I'm also someone who is open to alternative options - and I am familiar with many of them, so I'm happy to guide you.

would you prefer a dialog/conversation, or some sort of summary of options that come to mind?

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist