Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Dermatologist
Experience:  A family doctor, with medical and residency training in Boston, MA, patients of all ages and wide range of illnesses.
72350808

I have eczema pompholyx. I also have multiple partners and

Hey,I have eczema pompholyx. I also have multiple partners and was asked if while in a flare up if it's safe sex for me to be using my hand without a glove? I haven't found anything that says it isn't safe. But wanted to make sure I'm correct in that before I let me parents know.My eczema never opens. It's fairly mild compared to other stories. I get a small cluster of water blisters, they harderen then that hard part comes off after a period of time with healed skin underneath.Thank you!!
Serina

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. So far, 99% of the justanswer community of patients has found my answers helpful, and I have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well.

— For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations, and your question about whether it's safe for you to use your hand without a glove. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thank you Dr. Captain. What's your professional opinion?

The palms of the hands are a very unusual place to contract illnesses, or to aggravate eczema. I think provided you use plenty of lubrication, and minimize your risk of friction to make the eczema worse, you should be fine. I would also recommend caution with the ejaculate, to make sure that doesn't reach the skin, because that too might irritate and cause a flare.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is more around safe sex practices. Could I contract or give an STI or STD while in a flare up? Because the skin is thinner during the stage of blistering.

You are more likely to contract STIs when there is a higher risk of direct blood sharing. There are ways of protecting yourself, namely by adding more barriers... condoms, dental dams... and avoiding sexual contact while you're flaring up... but do your flares occur at your genitalia?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be clear: I am getting body fluids on the area where the eczema is flared up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they only occur on my hands. So it is not very likely to transmit and STI this way but using a barrier is more cautious? Sorry, just want to be confident when speaking to my partners about this topic because it is a sensitive one.

I see, thank you for the clarification.

of course! I appreciate and respect your position of educating yourself on the risk. The risk of transmission of STIs to areas of flare-ups is less than it would be for mucosal tissues to mucosal tissues (for example, genital-genital contact or genital-oral) but it is not quite as great as if there was contact with areas which did not have skin breakdown. I think the safest approach would be to physical protect any skin that had a flare up, or avoid contact with those areas during a flare up, f at all possible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thank you for educating!

Thank you for the opportunity to help you! My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any rating other than 5 stars suggests that something was wrong or missing, and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements, and from my observation, not many put the same time and personal focus that I do into answers.

If you have any follow-up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you, again! Hopefully, I'll get to connect with you again and I hope things will be going well!

If you feel like I have earned it, I would certainly appreciate a tip, should the system offer you a chance to send a bonus. I have given a great deal of personalized time and attention into the answers, because it is clear you have been through such a frustrating experience. As a "thank you", I do keep a careful list of patients who send a bonus, to offer priority availability and service to those who prioritize me! If you’d like to have me "in your back pocket" if you ever want a second opinion, I’m certainly open to it!