Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

With both hands affected by hepatic willow and eczema, I

find it painful to touch...
with both hands affected by hepatic willow and eczema, I find it painful to touch objects. But I bought a box of cotton gloves. And was thinking to keep those 24/7 until I get better and to avoid spreading it to other parts of my body and to others.Sometimes there is need to wear on top of cotton gloves a layer or two of latex gloves to keep them from falling or getting wet. And I do replace them like several times a day when they get dirty or too "sweaty"My question is whether wearing cotton gloves 23 hours a day. And with latex gloves over for another several hours a day or so. While I have emollients underneath a good idea?Could the moisture of emollients creams facilitate both the recovery of skin cells and viral spread?
1/17/2017
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Dermatologist

If you're on antivirals, the gloves and avoidance are really superfluous. It is wise to wash the hands regularly, to make sure the skin is clean and has an idea environment to heal. Wearing gloves all through the day poses extra risk for fungal infections, which will cause more harm than the benefit you think you may be getting by protecting yourself. I would discourage you from wearing gloves. The open air will help the healing process.

Ok good to know, so just endure the "friction pain" I feel when viral "bumps" touch objects? Or could I cover those with small band aids?Is applying emollients liberally and often that soften my eczema still good idea? It kind of makes my hands sticky, but it should still absorb well and soften eczema without gloves without a risk for fungal infection?
unlike fungi and some bacteria that like moisture, herpes may not like it because that's why they say to keep cold sore moist? or it doesn't care one way or another?

I'd say small band aids - It doesnt typically last very long. Yes, liberal application of the emollients is fine. You don't need enough to make your hands sticky (and which brands are making your hands sticky?!), but yes, it should still absorb well. The moisture doesn't impact the viral infection.

https://nationaleczema.org/eczema-products/moisturizers/theraplex/ which "contains the highest concentration of special petrolatum fraction for maximum effectiveness without irritation." - it's not a big deal if it helps eczema though because CeraVe and other creams that don't make my hands sticky may not be quite as effective
BUt perhaps I could alternate them throughout the day: sticky cream at night, cerave during day

that's a great idea!

The main goal of the creams is to prevent escape of moisture as much as to help push moisture inside.

Ok thank your advice and time!

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars to complete this section of our conversation. Naturally, you’re welcome to continue conversation with me as much as you’d like.

And hopefully I'll see you again soon. If you have any follow up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Dermatologist
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Dermatologist