Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Im having a groin itch not sure if it is eczema or tinea…

Hey im having a...

Hey im having a groin itch not sure if it is eczema or tinea cruris i have a history of eczema and usually flares up in the winter

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No i havent seen a doctor about it

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I use dexamethasone for eczema flares in the past recently had a flare on my arm and both eyelids no other past medical history

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I am stressed from school also with the itch i realized i started sweating more often in the groin area unlike other eczema rashes where my skin would become dry

1/14/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have red rash along with severe itching in groin?

Do you have associated groin pain?

Can you please share picture.

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Dr. Josh,Sorry for the wait, but the pictures took a long time to upload. I do have a red rash on my scrotum, base of shaft, and groin. Also the rash is not dry or scaly, but instead causes me to sweat A LOT MORE than usual. In fact, there have been a couple days where my boxers were completely drenched and I had to change numerous times through the day. I do not have any associated groin pain. I am currently taking PO Doxycycline and applying topical Adapalene for acne and using topical Dexamethasone for my eczema flares (recently on arm and both eyelids). I have attached pictures. Thank You for helping me.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details and sharing clear pictures.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

It seems to be due to a condition Eczema.

This results in itching, and inflammation of skin, dryness, flaking. The main symptom is that itching is severe. First of all When washing or bathing, keep water contact as brief as possible. You should Use less soap than usual.Avoid stress.

Please follow below measures-

1. You should mix 1% Cortisone cream with 1% Clotrimazole cream and apply over the affected area twice a day, for at least 10 days.
2. You should take Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day.
3. You should also use Calamine lotion for local application.
4. When washing or bathing, keep water contact as brief as possible.
5. Take tab Motrin 400mg twice a day. This will reduce inflammation of skin.
These all are OTC drugs.

Also, you should improve your immunity. Take healthy and well balanced diet.

Also, start with a multivitamin supplement.

With above measures, you would become free from all symptoms in one week.

Please don't panic and it is not a serious issue. This can be managed with medications.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just have a question about washing the affected area. So should I not clean with soap or body wash? Should i just wash the affected area with water? Also what multivitamin brand/company do you recommend?

Well, you can clean it only water once a day. Avoid using soap/ body wash on affected part.

You can start with-Nature made Multi supplement.

With above measures, you would get great results.

God bless you and take care.

Don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor