Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I've taken spironolactone for severe oily skin and moderate

Customer Question

I've taken spironolactone for severe oily skin and moderate acne since September of this year, I was on 50 mg, but after a few weeks increased to 75 mg because I was still getting oily. Now in January the oil is starting to come back again, so I've been increased to 100 mg. My question is does this medicine eventually stop working or lose its effectiveness? I've been so happy experiencing clear and not oily skin I'm scaring myself by thinking that eventually it may stop working all together. I know that 100 mg is the maximum dose my doctor prescribes to women. I guess I just want to know if it eventually stops having an effect on your hormones, or will it continue help in some way as long as I use it. I was just really hoping this is a long term solution. My doctor has said I can continue to use it for years and I'm just hoping that it will continue to be effective that long. Have you had patients have long term success with it? My acne is no where near bad enough for actuate, so I feel like this was kind of my last resort. And I know I really shouldn't be worrying until it happens, but am a little afraid of it coming back and ruining my self confidence again, and not having any other options. I also use, epiduo at night and benzaclin in the morning, but I have used these products for many years and nothing has been as effective as the spironolactone. I'm hoping you can ease my mind a bit so I can enjoy my skin and not be so worried. Thank you so much for your help.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome I'm Dr Chip

I fully understand your concern here

I have several patients on spironolactone for their acne long term

I assure you it doesn't lose its effectiveness but sometimes the dosage does need to be increased.

But once I got my patients up to the 100 mg level, they were fine and the medication remained totally effective

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I guess I just thought that since it had to be increased a couple of times that it meant it was losing effectiveness, and since I know I can't go any higher than I am I was a little worried about what would happen. So your patients continued on the 100 mg level for years and it didn't lose effectiveness?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.

They did just fine once we got to the 100mg point and so will you

Please remember to rate my service to you so I can get credit for my time

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, just two more quick questions if you don't mind. Has spironolactone been known to cause any significant weight gain? Also, I take an oral supplement for digestive issues and it contains a lot of natural herbal ingredients. Are there any particular herbs or vitamin that can make acne or oily skin worse? I just don't want to take something that is counterproductive. I really appreciate your responses and you have greatly helped to ease my mind. I am highly satisfied, so I will rate you as such.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.

No to any significant weight gain

Omega 3 fatty acids can exacerbate a skin oil problem

Entirely my pleasure