Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

My son has an enlarged preauricular lymph node on the right

Customer Question
hi JA: Hello. What do you...
hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: my son has an enlarged preauricular lymph node on the right side and a skin lesion on his forehead. he had a fever with this. he has a red eye on the contralateral side
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: one week.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: he just got over severe bronchitis and was on albuterol. he is a wrestler so he is exposed to a lot of icky stuff
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
1/7/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 1 year ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello and welcome I'm Dr Chip

Could you post a photo of the skin lesion on this page for me please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am at work right now and he is at home. he also had a lesion on his lower lip and it is swollen. his pediatrician prescribed an
antibiotic ointment for the skin but i am not entirely sure that this is bacterial. it seems to be spreading. there are small satellite lesions that look new near it. he also has three small lesions on his right upper arm (same side as the node)

OK--did the pediatrician also address the node and the red eye?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well, my husband was at the appointment and he is not the best historian. i asked my son if he told his doc about the node and he said he did. the eye got bad on thursday night and he saw the doc thursday am. i am an optometrist so i am having him come in today so i can look at the eye to see if there is corneal involvement or an anterior chamber reaction

Did you consider pink eye?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure. i need to see if it is bacterial or viral today
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it looks viral because there is no mucous.

OK

Does the lip lesion look like a cold sore?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it looks like a split lip

OK

So are you asking if I can put all this into just one diagnosis?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im just wondering if there is anything glaring that needs to be ruled out.
oh nevermind. it is mat herpes. from wrestling. one of my patients was a wrestling coach, thank god.

Nothing glaring but what part of this do you think is mat herpes?

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist