Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I have been diagnosed with folliculitus decleavans, I have

Customer Question

Hi I have been diagnosed with folliculitus decleavans
JA: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?
Customer: I have white spots on my scalp
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the skin issue better or worse?
Customer: I've been dealing with this for about a year Could it by chance be a misdiagnosis Because I've got iron defiency and I lost hair in the past and then it grew back after I took ferrous tablets
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yeah the iron deficiency but I feel like they are immediately jumpign to conclusions
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've started taking cod liver oil tablets and also vitamin d3 and tumeric/ ginger tablets and also flaxseed. I've seen improvemnets. I've taken lymecyline and doxyclyine. The lymecyline gave me relief for 6 months without spots, but the moment I stopped, they came back. I've tried shampoos such as nizoral shampoo. Now my doctors are suggesting that I take isoretnin (Accutane), but is there no other way. How would I know if it's a misdiagnosis.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are dealing with a chronic skin problem. Folliculitis Decalvans current treatment requires two antibiotics, Rifampin 300 mg twice daily and Clindamycin 300 mg twice daily. The combination of meds is needed for 4-6 months to effect a good chance of not getting a recurrence. The only true way to diagnose this is with skin biopsy.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Then why are they using isoretnin to treat this
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Isotretinoin is a retinoid product used to treat acne. You should discuss this with your doctor. If the diagnosis you have been given is accurate, then the addition of the medication I listed with the Isotretinoin you are on will significantly improve your skin condition. So, please discuss with your treating doctor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When would the effects of the drugs take place, as in when would they start to actually work?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

You should begin to see a change in 7-10 days after initiating treatment.