dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Had an epidermal cyst and it seemed to have gotten bigger

Customer Question

Had an epidermal cyst and it seemed to have gotten bigger and was itchy. I went to an urgent care center and the Doctor there gave me a round of antibiotics and told me to see my dermatologist. I did go to my dermatologist and she looked at it. It had already drained some but she gave me a shot and told me to keep warm compresses on it. She also said it was a little deep so I might want to have a surgeon take whatever was left out so it wouldn't come back. By the way its on my neck and right now it's flat and practically gone but the spot where it was is still a reddish color. It's not itchy or burns or anything. I do have an appt to see a plastic surgeon next Wed. My Dermatologist was not very concerned and told me it was fine to leave until after the Holidays. What's your take on this?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: No itch..
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I agree with your doctors

it is safe to leave over the holidays.

you can use warm compresses on it.

epidermal cysts are also called subaceous cysts which come from blocked sebaceous glands.

if it continues to bother you , yes, a surgeon can have it cut out.