Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I was prescribed 300 mg of fluconazole (diflucan) once a…

I was prescribed 300 mg...

I was prescribed 300 mg of fluconazole (diflucan) once a week for 3 weeks. How long will it take for flucanazole to leave my system - how many hours/days? ALSO, the doctor said there was no interaction with alcohol so I didn't need to stop moderately drinking. IS THAT CORRECT? Another doctor has prescribed Oxycodone 15 mg per day. I read on the Internet that Oxycodone does interact with fluconazole - I believe decreasing the effects of Oxycodone. Should I stop taking Oxycodone while taking fluconazole (if so how many days) or can I continue to take it? If you are having trouble answering this question please pass it on to a dermatologist or appropriate doctor.

11/22/2016
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there, Please let me review your question!

Fluconazole will stay in your system for about 40-45 hours.

It has some effect on the liver, and it is always recommend to not drink while on fluconazole.

Fluconazole can enhance the effects of oxycodone. Therefore, you should only take a half of one instead.

Since you are only taking it for three weeks and you're only taking three pills, I would not be a concern. I highly doubt you will develop any side effects to fluconazole. If I were you, I would try to cut back on drinking within the 48 hours after taking fluconazole

Let me know if you have any additional questions please.

If not, please rate my services.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Sorry but I fell asleep and just checked my emails. A final question before I rate you. I'm actually taking six fluconazole pills (two 150 mg) once a week. So regarding alcohol, wouldn't it make sense to cut back on my drinking BEFORE the fluconazole leaves my system - in other words the first 48 hours AFTER I take the 2 pill course (300 mg) each of the 3 weeks?

You are exactly right. You should limit your drinking about 48 hours before and try to limit your drinking 48 hours afterwards to decrease any possible effects on the liver.

Dr. Scott, Doctor
Dr. Scott, Doctor