dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I had a small red spot on my face last June that seemed to

Customer Question

I had a small red spot on my face last June that seemed to go away, but then came back and almost to the point of bleeding. It was not a raised spot- more like flat, a darkened circle. I thought it was another basal cell carcinoma, since I have had a few of these before. When I was a teenager (40 years ago), unfortunately I had radiation treatment for acne. I believe this set me up for the skin cancers, as I do not spend much time in the sun. Anyway for my recent experience in June of this year- my dermatologist did a biopsy, and it came back as osteomacutis. She said I could either be sent to a surgeon, or just live with it. I decided to eliminate the calcium supplements I had been taking, and it healed over. The dark area is still there, but it does not bleed. Does this sound like osteomacutis? I was diagnosed with osteomacutis about 12 years ago during a time when I had been taking tetracycline and Keflex at the same time-it all of a sudden appeared as dark lines and purplish spots on my face-but mostly faded now. The photos I am seeing for this condition do not really resemble what I am seeing- so I wonder.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

can you upload a clear jpg photo of this small red spot?

osteoma cutis refers to the presence of bone within the skin in the absence of a preexisting or associated lesion

if the biopsy showed small bits of bone, then that most likely is what is causing that red spot on your skin.