Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I started talking roaccutane 40mg per day (I'm 58kg) last

Customer Question
Hi I started talking roaccutane...
Hi I started talking roaccutane 40mg per day (I'm 58kg) last Tuesday and have a couple of questions about side effects. For the last few days I've had joint pain for the first time in my life mainly in my shoulders when I extend my arms. It only happens a few times each day and it's nothing I can't put up with my question is how does roaccutane cause joint pain and by putting up with it is it causing any damage to my joints? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2016
Dermatologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Joint pain in your shoulder is a side effect of the medication and is usually mild. It does not cause any permanent damage rather goes away once the drug is stopped.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thanks for your reply would it be possible to speak with a dermatologist?

Dermatologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

It could be Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) which is a bony hardening (calcification) of ligaments in areas where they attach to your spine. The most common symptoms are mild to moderate pain and stiffness in your upper back. DISH can also affect your neck and lower back. Some people have DISH in other areas, such as shoulders, elbows, knees and heels.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Would this occur after one week of use? Does it go away after the course? The reason I wanted to hear from a dermatologist is i wanted to know if many patients they have treated with accutane have this symptom and if I should be worried.

It is not possible. It doesn't sound like DISH. It is just simply due to a side effect of the medication. Not often. But you should stop it because it could become DISH.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor