Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have had an occipital node swollen under my right hairline

Customer Question

I have had an occipital node swollen under my right hairline since July. I went to an ENT who did a cat scan, and said it was slightly swollen. He wants to repeat the scan in a few months. Just curious what are the causes of a swollen occipital node. They say cancer is rare in those nodes, just looking for some answers. Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now your ENT is right, the chances of cancer occurring in these lymph nodes are extremely low. Now this can be swollen due to a number of causes which can include,

Trauma or lacerations in the scalp

Infections in the scalp

Folliculitis

Fungal infections

Lice

Dandruff

Ringworm

These are only some of the causes for a swollen lymph node in the occipital region, infact infections of the ear and the throat can also sometimes cause a swollen occipital lymph node. Now if the lymph node persists on your next scan then it would be time to do a biopsy of the node, just to determine what is the cause. But in most cases these lymph nodes do disappear with time.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.