Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Does this look like herpes

Customer Question

Does this look like herpes
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

No, this does not look like herpes, though the appearance can be variable, particularly if the area has been abraded or scratched.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was bigger then this before. I popped it bleed and oozed a little bit
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Was it originally a bubble-like lesion with clear fluid?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's looked like a pimple and when I popped it had blood and oozed out. And yesterday it seem like dead skin came off it after it started healing
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

I still don't think this is herpes. That is usually marked by clusters of small vesicles (bubbles) that hurt or burn. If you want to rule this out, you can ask your doctor to check your HSV2 titers. This is a blood test that tells you if you have been exposed to the genital herpes virus. Otherwise, you might consider a boil or infected gland as the cause of this lesion. This is pretty common, especially in those that shave the area. These lesions usually have pus and/or blood within them.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do think check for herpes when you have a regular blood work done would it come up there
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

The test for HSV2 is not part of routine blood tests, unless you discussed the possibility with your doctor. That said, if the blood was drawn recently, your doctor can add the test to those already ordered. Otherwise, he would need to arrange for another blood draw.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But the bump started off small and has gotten bigger. Then I popped and it bleed.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Try putting a little antibiotic ointment (e.g. polysporin) on it for a few days. It should heal up pretty quick.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank u
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you really don't think it's herpes
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

No, I don't...but I can't say for sure based only on the picture. You would need to have it examined in person, with the blood test as possibly confirmatory.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

If you have no further questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating. Your record is not good in this regard, and this is the only way that experts on this site get paid for helping you.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob