Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I had dermatitis on my penile shaft about 6 weeks ago. Three…

Customer Question
I had dermatitis on my...
I had dermatitis on my penile shaft about 6 weeks ago. Three days ago, I had a red patch on my penile shaft. It's flat, no bumps, not itchy, sore or painful, just red. Its kind of like a circle. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's in between pinkish and red
10/17/2016
Dermatologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Salama

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Can you upload a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't at the moment.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But my description is quite accurate of what it looks like. Also, no peeling or anything like that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I pull the skin back it looks normal.
Dermatologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

What you're describing sounds like a fungal infection which is quite common.

It can be easily treated with over the counter medication.

I would recommend using clotrimazole 1% twice a day for 1-2 weeks until it resolves.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you maybe give me more specifics? What type of fungal infection?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is this related to my past dermatitis because it is in the same spot as it was back then
Dermatologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Fungal infections arise when the area is exposed to increased perspiration.

It often comes on with dermatitis and requires hydrocortisone 1% to be used along with the clotrimazole.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok and last question because I'm a paranoid person, any way it could be herpes? I don't have any of the symptoms I read online but just want your imput.
Dermatologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Herpes looks like a papule with surrounding crusting.

It doesn't sound like what you have but if you're able to provide a picture in the future, I would be happy to look at it.

Dermatologist: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

If not, please don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!