How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dermdoc19 Your Own Question
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 4069
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
dermdoc19 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bubbly circle rash on my back and it's red around

Customer Question

I have a bubbly circle rash on my back and it's red around it. It itches if I'm sweaty. I was told by a doctor that it was probably an allergic reaction to something, but I've had it for a couple years now. I would add picture, but I don't see a way how on here
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Ashori here, give me just a moment to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

If you've had it for a few years and it's unchanged then it definitely cannot be an allergic reaction.

You can upload a picture by selecting the icon for the paper clip.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

The picture would help for me to tell you what it is, dermatologic lesions on the back are usually quite common and the picture would allow me to easily make the diagnosis.

Have you tried anything for this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture attached. I've tried some creams, but it's never went away.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Does it change in any way? Has it ever gotten bigger or smaller or less raised or more raised?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

This is not an allergic reaction, this is what we call sebaceous hyperplasia or small sebaceous glands which are irritated.

They aren't too hard to treat but take a little while to go away.

Let me make some suggestions and I'm sure you will see an improvement with time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now it's flared up, it goes down but it's always visible. It's gotten bigger before
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Start using something called benzoyl peroxide which is a wash that you can use to decrease the size of these things. You only need to wash the area with it, not the whole body.

Then you need to use an exfoliating wash on the area every day, salicylic acid works fine.

Then also do a topical steroid cream such as hydrocortisone 1% cream twice daily for 2 weeks.