How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mo Your Own Question
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 675
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Mo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had previously asked about lumps beginning to appear on my

Customer Question

I had previously asked about lumps beginning to appear on my face. I have been to my regular dermatologist and then to the university of Maryland dermatologist. It seems that no one knows what is going on and to me the areas appear to be growing. It is very difficult going a day without not wanting to go in public. Any thoughtssuggestions from the picture? Have you see this before?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Ashori here to help you. Give me a moment to read your question and I will reply to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for posting the picture, it is helpful to see it.

I have seen this before, I cannot tell you the name of it and it is rare.

It is a genetic issue with fibrotic tissue building up under the skin.

Usually the dermatologists will take a biopsy of it if they are unsure but I am guessing the know it's not anything serious.

I am not aware of any treatment being available for this.

However it's rare for it to be progressive.

I recall seeing 2 cases in my career and one person had it on their neck only and cheeks, the other on the arms only.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this is something that will continue to spread since it has gotten larger over a period of 2 years? I know this sounds crazy but I feel like when I read your response I could end up like the women who has all those lumps/tumors which have taken her face over. Is this the same type of condition.
The biopsy was inconclusive. I apologize if I seem anxious about it but as a 34 year old woman I am so scared of this just continuing to spread.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

No! It won't become like neurofibramatosis, sorry, I should have made that clear.

It's unlikely for it to progress, I would expect the 2 year mark is about the time that it will stabilize.

But it's hard to say when it will actually stabilize.

You are young indeed, that makes it harder to deal with something like this.

I would recommend at some point consulting a plastic surgeon, it won't cost you much to get a second opinion and they must have some treatment options available for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I appreciate your answering my questions. I had considered seeing a plastic surgeon. I hope that it doesn't continue to progress and spread. It has had a negative impact on self esteem and my desire to even go in public. Plus the constant fear of the areas continuing to just spread, the unknown
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

I don't think it will spread or spread much at all.

From a very professional view point you are very attractive (I mean that in a very sincere way) and I think it's a shame if you let this affect how you view yourself in any way.

But please talk to someone about this, a therapist, someone who will reinforce your positive view points. I have a feeling you will go through ups and downs with this but in the end you will either find a way to treat it or be okay with however you feel about it.

Hope I make sense with what I am saying and don't want you to think it's gonna get worse, that is NOT my experience with this.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

Hope my answers were helpful.
Is there anything else I can clarify?
If you are done with this case please click on "Rating" to complete it.
Thank you
Dr Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

Please click on "Rating" in order to close this case and complete the transaction. Dr Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. In order for me to be compensated for this question please click on "Rating".

Thank you.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

In order for me to get paid for this please click on "Rating", thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise you can close this encounter by clicking on "Rating".

M. Ashori MD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your responses. I clicked on the complete and it wouldn't work. I will try again. I appreciate your kind words regarding my fears of how I feel this has taken over my face and will continue to spread.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome.