Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have a groin swelling which happened numerous times in the

Customer Question

I have a groin swelling which happened numerous times in the past. This time it happened and I squeezed the spot and drained pus, I am a bit concerned about what this may be
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No injuries It's like a pimple
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm fit and well. I don't do unprotected sex either but a few months back I had unprotected oral sex that's why I'm stressing a bit. All my blood tests for HIV and hep are negative. That's why I'm a bit worried.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Pimples, and larger infections such as boils or abscesses are common in the groin area. This is especially true if you shave the area. Hairs can get ingrown. Either way, if there is pus coming out it signifies an infection. Draining it and using hot compresses will often lead to resolution, but larger ones may require antibiotics or surgical drainage. I would suggest you have it examined by your family doctor if it does not dry up after drainibg it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is how it looks like doctor.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think it looks like any of the STIs
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

If you had a complete STI work up and all your tests were normal, this is likely a common abscess from an ingrown hair or a small abrasion or insect bite. It should respond well to drainage, warm compresses and antibiotics.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Dr Bob, so the image doesn't resemble anything like warts ?
Sorry for stressing out !
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

No. The pictures don't tell the whole story, of course, but they do not appear to show warts or herpes.