How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Anthony Bray MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For a few days now, I have been noticing a small pea sized

Customer Question

For a few days now, I have been noticing a small pea sized lump/bump near the entrance of my anus. It is light in color and feels tender. It is moderately painful when I touch it or press down on it. I am young and healthy at 21 years old. I do not have/never had anal sex. Although it has only been a few days, I haven't noticed any bleeding. In addition, I haven't noticed anything abnormal with my bowel movements. What is this a sign of? I plan on making an appointment with my doctor very soon, so that they can examine the issue. I believe it could be anal warts but wanted a second opinion before I visit my doctor.
Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
UPDATE: I have attached a picture for better reference. The lump is not itchy in my opinion. It can just be painful at times and therefore causes an annoyance. It looks and appears almost to be a pimple because it is white. I heard from someone that I will need Aldara cream. I understand it's a prescription medication. If I leave it alone, however, would it just go away over time or will it continue to get worse and possibely spread?
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 11 months ago.


This is a Peri-anal abscess ...

It needs antibiotic treatment and if small enough that may be enough...

Your doctor may need to make an incision and release pus as possible

Sitz baths with Epsom salts may be helpful for you ...

Topical antibacterial soap ( Hibiclens from pharmacy ) then apply Neosporin ointment would certainly not hurt and may be helpful

An oral antibiotic should be part of your treatment though

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I Will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 11 months ago.

No to Aldara cream !!

No don't ignore it ... See doctor Monday and get treated or urgent care tomorrow ...