How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DermDoc Your Own Question
DermDoc, Doctor
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9398
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
DermDoc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Penis forehead red, itchy and painful since 3 months

Customer Question

I am suffering from Balanitis, where my penis forehead was turning red and I feel itching and pain? Which doctor do we need to consult for medicine?
I am having this problem for last 3 months, and I was using cotrimozole and coconut oil as I searched in Google for treatment and I worked for couple of days but it keeps on coming.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

Balanitis is the inflammation of the penis head.

It can be due to following reasons.

Fungal Infection

Bacterial Infection


Balanitis is usually caused by a fungal infection. I would recommend a combination of oral Diflucan and topical Nystatin.

Oral Diflucan would require a prescription from your doctor.You can visit your primary care doctor for prescription.

Also you should get your blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i need to visit dermatologist in person and verify and get prescription?
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 year ago.

Your primary care doctor should be able to give you prescription after examination in person.

If PCP is not sure he can refer you to a dermatologist.