DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

How can I tell if a growth is a genital wart?

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached pictures.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help you today. The pictures you attached appear to be small blisters which may be herpes and need to be evaluated immediately. You can and should go to an Urgent Care Center now while the blisters are still intact. If positive medication can be started to shorten the outbreak and minimize recurrent outbreaks.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. We are credited only after you give a positive rating of 5 stars for the information I provided. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not blisters as they have been there for several weeks. They are hard whitish bumps. I will attach a few more pics.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

From what you just described, it is not herpes. They do not have the appearance of genital warts. Since they are not blisters, they could be a cyst caused by a blocked gland that lubricates the skin. If a cyst, it is not a medical emergency. Your PCP should evaluate and if they are what I suspect to be small cysts, can open and drain them easily. I'm sorry if I alarmed you by stating they were herpetic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just freaked out that they could be genital warts. I read genital warts can be very tiny and hard to see. My bumps are 1mm or less in diameter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you a dermatologists?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

No, I'm not a dermatologist, but I am board certified and have 40 years of patient care. If you like, I can opt out and open your question to another expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather a dermatologist or urologist look. Sorry I am just really freaked out and want to be certain.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Can I help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do my pictures appear to be genital warts? They are very tiny 1mm or less bumps on and a few under my foreskin. I am uncircumcised.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

These could be warts. Yes. Very small ones

The other possibility is molluscum

But they don't have an umbilicated center like molluscum

A biopsy will confirm but yes I think they are warts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen genital warts such as this before? You don't think they could be blocked sweat glands?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

I have seen genital warts like this. Yes. They come in all shapes and sizes.

There is no way to be sure without a biopsy though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am zooming way in on them in the pictures. Like 8x zoom on my phone camera. I had a biopsy today but I am just freaking out while waiting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you a dermatologist?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

No I'm an internist but I perform biopsies and treat these issues all the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
warts can be single lesions spread out all over? I thought they were more clustered together?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

No, not at all

there are all types

some clustered and some spread out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you tell difference between genital wart and fordyce bumps?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

fordyce are very regularly spaced

they don't come in singles or doubles

they are all over

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I have is all over. I have them all over my foreskin. Very tiny only seen when skin stretched. Little almost perfect round circles.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

okay well then that could be fordyce for sure

it is hard to tell exactly what it looks like in a generalized fashion from your pics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are tons of these. Bigger ones at the base but very, almost microscopic on the foreskin. Can't see them unless skin is stretched and using the zoom on my phone camera. Some have tiny hairs coming out of them and others do not.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

oh ok!

that is super helpful!

Then in that case, not likely warts at all.

hair follicles or fordyce or both

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget a positive rating

I appreciate it :)

If you have more questions, just reply