Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have a situation going on with my right arm. It itches and

Customer Question
now there are sores. Is...
I have a situation going on with my right arm. It itches and now there are sores. Is it scabies?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: For about a month. I use itch cream. Hydrocortisone. I just want it to go away.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
9/2/2016
Dermatologist: DermDoc, Doctor replied 1 year ago
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have itching severe at night?

Dry skin?

Peeling of skin?

Are they painful sores?

Are you taking any medications?

Any other medical history?

If possible can you please upload a picture of affected area?

Is it spreading to other areas?

Thanks.
Waiting for your response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a 43 year old male. They are only painful when I scratch them. They itch emensely at night.
No history of medical problems
It has spread on my arm.
I've been putting hydrocortisone for the itch and have been using Neem Oil
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's just on my right arm.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.
Well as you describe,possible causes may include Ecthyma,Neurodermatitis.
Chances of scabies are less as it is more contagious and spreads to other parts of body.
Also your symptoms are localized on your right arm only so other possible causes should be ruled out.
I suggest you to see a dermatologist and try some self care measures in the meantime like
Apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone mixed with Bactracin ointment on affected area 2 times a day.
Also take OTC Motrin and Claritin.
Avoid sun exposure.
Use Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing.
Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.
And start a multi-vitamin supplement.
If you feel itching then avoid scratching and apply cool compresses with a ice pack for 5 minutes.
You should avoid spicy,fried foods.
You should get a prescription of antibiotics for further treatment.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the pictures I sent you, notice the infected areas are in patterns. Wouldn't that indicate a mite of some sort?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Well i have reviewed your pictures again and usually mites don't infest in one particular area of body.

They spread throughout the body.

You should try such self care measures and male an appointment with your doctor or a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

DermDoc
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor