Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have had a monogomus relationship for the past 4 years and

Customer Question
recently married, I recently had...
I have had a monogomus relationship for the past 4 years and recently married, I recently had a small red bump appear at the base of my penis. Most of the time it is skin colored but becomes red after sex or in the morning after shower. I think i might have found another red bump too that looks similar but its not red. It iches when i sweat or sleep. If I apply biactin it seems to feel better. If i manage to leave it alone for a few days it almost disappears. Pretty worued about it. Any ideas? I have a photo if it would help...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
8/25/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

it doesn't sound like an STD.

it could be from a blocked skin pore or pimple

can you upload a clear jpg photo of this small red bump so I can better help you?

do you see the "add file" link?

Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** - I am a Dermatologist and will do my best to provide a useful input.

Your question has been relisted - can you please upload the photograph that you have if you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
These arent very good pictures and its skin colored today so i can try again tomorrow morning.

Good Morning,

These bumps look like Folliculitis to me. Folliculitis is a bacterial infection of the hair follicles (or skin pores) and is a harmless problem apart from the discomfort/itching it causes. The problem is not sexually transmitted so don't worry on that account.

Folliculitis often occurs in conditions of heat or humidity or when a person hasn’t been able to maintain personal hygiene well (like traveling, camping) or when there is an underlying problem like Diabetes. Friction is another cause of the problem. That said it can occur for no reason at all.

The lesions usually respond to a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day for 7 days. Your doctor will be able to prescribe these for you. Also an oral anti-histamine like Claritin 10 mg should be started once or twice a day for the itching. You should be fine in 5-7 days once treatment is started.

You can also use an antibacterial soap like Dial for bathing for a few weeks to prevent a recurrence.

If you cannot see a doctor then apply Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the bumps, bathe with Dial Antibacterial soap and take Tablet Claritin 10 mg once a day for the itching. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription. Continue the Bacitracin for 14 days and that might take care of the problem.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist