Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

What is this on the top of my foot?

What is this on the top of my foot?
8/24/2016
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician

This pink raised papule looks a bit dimpled in center which has appearance consistent with a viral caused skin outbreak called molluscum contagiosum ...

If this is the cause then it tends to resolve gradually on its own say 4 to 6 months .

It may be treated with a freeze treatment of you wish however

If this is molluscun contagiosum then you might have a few of these lesions develop ...

It is not a big deal however ..

No major worry ..

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's not a wart? I don't have them anywhere else.

Right ..not a wart but similar as both warts and molluscum are caused by viruses ..

Molluscum tend to resolve on their own ( warts less likely to) but that takes a while as I said ...usually a few months and self resolve ...

If it bothers you then you can get it treated ...

I hope that this helps ...

Let me know if you have anything further ...

Take Care !

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will Compound-W get rid of it?

It may help but that is of course intended for WARTS ( not specifically molluscum) BuT YES I would expect that would rid you of the lesion as well >>

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I use it?

There are several varieties of this product ..liquid/ gel / freeze treatments ..follow the directions as given on a particular product

You may see your doctor or dermatologist as 2 freeze treatments 2 weeks apart should treat a given lesion

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further specific questions as to a given product ...

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it worth buying the freeze-off stuff made by Dr. Scholl's or should I just go to my primary doc?

You are fine to buy the freeze off product..it is just a single small lesion...seeing your doctor also fine ...

It should be easy for you to take cadre of it though ..

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can they develop around the nail bed too?

Possibly but not common to that ...see a dermatologist if you have problem at nailbed ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to buy the freeze off stuff tonight. How long should I wait to see the doctor if it doesn't disappear after treatment?

It should show difference within a day or two...likely clear and healed by 10 to 14 days out from treatment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I applied the freeze treatment last night. Should I be noticing any difference?

Give it time ..

You should see difference over next several days -- yes to that ...

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician