Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

My index finger has turned orange and the nail any advice as

Customer Question
to why JA: Have you seen...
My index finger has turned orange and the nail any advice as to why
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Haven't talked to Doctor. I was talking robaxin pre workout and Tylenol got back pain
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No pain in finger just discoloration
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. The rest of my nails are fine
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
8/21/2016
Dermatologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have associated pain in that area?

Did you have any injury on that finger?

Any other associated symptoms?

Can you please share picture.

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I can understand your concern.

Well, . Change in finger color and nail as Orange, could be due to something that has been absorbed into the skin from the external environment and if so should clear up on its own in 7-10 days.

The other possibility would be the first stage of paronychia which is a bacterial infection of the nail folds - this can make the nail folds look very red / orange but is usually associated with significant pain in the area.

If you have associated pain and swelling, then you would need antibiotics.

In case there is no pain, the chances of infection are very slim.

This could also be related with- fungal infection. To make a diagnose, a clinical examination and KOH and culture test would be necessary.

If the diagnosis is confirmed by tests then treatment with anti-fungal medications can be started.
You would need medications like- Fluconazole griseofulvin, terbinafine, and itraconazole.

Other common cause for this are- excess carotene either in the diet or in supplements or both.

It's more often seen in vegetarians. If that's the case, cutting back on the intake will resolve the problem. It's also sometimes seen in diabetes, liver and kidney conditions, and thyroid conditions. Your doctor can check this out and determine if there is an organ problem here.

Hemochromatosis, an iron storage disorder, could also cause this.

Foods that are high in Vitamin A, or beta-carotene, can cause skin and nail discoloration. These would be foods like carrots, cantaloupe, pumpkin, summer squash.

I would suggest you to get a clinical examination done by your doctor. You would be advised treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor