How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 45991
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got a rash from a pool noodle on Middle Bass Island in

Customer Question

Got a rash from a pool noodle on Middle Bass Island in apparently well chlorinated pool. My doctor diagnosed dermatitis cause by chlorine or some chemical in the noodle which was old falling apart. The rash started at the contact points of the noodle with my skin, namely the neck and the back of my elbows on the inside of my arms. He gave me an injection of some kind of steroid. The next day there was no relief and the rash was spreading to other parts of my body. I called and he has prescribed Methyl prednisolone. I have taken two doses as prescribed and it is a 5 day treatment.I still see no improvement at all as the rash continues to spread. I am using bebedryl topical spray and cream which really helps. I found a post about pseudomonas aeruginosa in pools and hot tubs and now I am wondering if the rash is bacterial in nature. What are your thoughts?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

your rash could be bacterial but this is less likely

you would need a skin culture to check for skin bacterial infection

can you upload a photo of the rash so I can better see the skin?

keep using the benadryl topcial spray if it really helps

if that helps, then most likely the rash is due to allergy and not infection.

let me know if you have questions.