Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have some warts on the bottom of my foot, recently i have

Customer Question
another one above the penis...
I have some warts on the bottom of my foot, recently i have another one above the penis. I am currently traveling, and I dont know what to do, I already have one removed 5 years ago in the same area of the right foot. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
8/16/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

First, it is not necessary to do anything while you are traveling. There is no urgent need to treat warts, and if you would rather not deal with the difficulties of treating warts, then it is fine to wait. In particular, if you are walking a lot as part of your traveling, you may find it preferable to wait until the traveling is done to treat the warts on the bottom of your feet.

However, if you want to treat the warts without seeing a doctor, there are several options available over the counter. The over the counter treatment that I recommend as first line treatment would be the freezing products. There are several brand names on the market. These products are not as effective as freezing done by your doctor, but it is reasonable to try at home (or wherever you are staying while traveling). It also may help to use a product that contains salicylic acid, which is also available as several brand names.

The issue with treating warts on the feet is that any intervention that damages wart tissue will tend to cause some localized swelling. And while this swelling is not an issue for most locations on the body, a small amount of swelling on the bottom of the feet feels like you are walking with a pebble in your shoe. It already may feel like a small pebble from the wart, but it will usually feel worse before it feels better if the wart is treated.

If you do not want to treat using over the counter products, then it would be fine to seek a Walk-In Clinic, but many of these clinics are not designed to treat warts, so you should contact the clinic before arriving to be certain that they are able to treat the warts.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the answer, it seems like the warts are getting bigger, and I also cut the warts a bunch of times with a little scissor, cause it was bothering to walk! Could this be caused by the vph virus?!

All warts are caused by the HPV virus. There are certain strains that can only affect the skin of or around the genitals, so are called genital warts. But there are many other strains of HPV that can cause warts elsewhere on the body. The HPV strains that cause warts elsewhere on the body cannot change into the strains that cause genital warts, so the two general types of HPV remain distinct. But they are still all caused by a strain of HPV.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor