Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I had these lesions for over 2 months, they're painless have

Customer Question
not changed, nor crusted or...
I had these lesions for over 2 months, they're painless have not changed, nor crusted or scabbed. I dont have any pain or burning due to urination. The area is not red. I want to know if this is a genital herpe or if it resembles. I had unprotected sex 5/8 and looking online if this shouldve resolved atleat after a month. As stated before they have not burst or gotten worse for that matter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
7/25/2016
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Do you have a pic?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you provide me an email

you need to accept additional services for that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the pic gets uploaded

No it is not herpes

but it could be molluscum or genital warts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How were you able to differentiate that just trying to understand the rationale
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's a better pic if need be

looks like molluscum to me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are the health risks and complications associated with this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How could this affect my partner if i were to have unprotected sex

I don't want to answer that because I'm not sure

the picture is too blurry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im confused you stated that it looks like molluscum i want to know what compilations can arise due to it. What are you suspected etiologies if thats the case

Like I said it could be warts too.

Also, it could be normal.

I can't see the pic cleaerly enough to be sure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But your clear enough that its not herpes correct ?

yes that is correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can molluscum cause urethritis

no

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had penile discharge occur atleast 8 weeks after my incident and i tested negative for chlamydia gonorrhea. Like the lesions were there and about 8 weeks later discharge occured. Im suffering from some type of urethritis can idea if these lesions are associated with it
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello, the system says that you have requested another expert. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you.

I have reviewed the pictures. While the pictures are blurry, the lesions clearly do not look like herpes. I agree that the most likely would be molluscum contagiosum or genital warts, and the most likely would be molluscum contagiosum, because the bumps of molluscum contagiosum tend to be smaller and occur in clusters. The other characteristic of molluscum contagiosum is that many of the bumps will develop a central depression, also called an umbilication, but these pictures are not clear enough to make a comment upon whether this is present. The umbilication is not always present, but when it is present, it is much more clear that it is due to molluscum contagiosum.

While molluscum contagiosum or genital warts may affect the urethra near the tip of the penis, they do not cause a true urethritis or cause a urethral discharge. There is no disease that would cause lesions such as this and a urethral discharge.

Molluscum contagiosum is a benign viral infection, that can be transmitted by sex, but also can be transmitted by other mechanisms, such as by contaminated objects that have come in contact with the bumps, such as towels. Consequently, it can be transmitted to your sexual partner. The only concern regarding complications would be secondary skin infection if the person picks at the bumps. It is an infection that can affect someone at any age, including children - in fact, it is most common in children during the first decade of life. It is an infection that will go away on its own, but commonly takes months, and can take a year or more.

As for the discharge, there are a variety of germs that can cause urethritis beyond the common germs of chlamydia and gonorrhea, including several non-sexually transmitted germs, but many of these germs are hard to isolate, so many doctors will simply try an empiric course of antibiotics.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor