How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 46959
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Snorkeling yesterday, bumped into a buoy line, felt

Customer Question

snorkeling yesterday, bumped into a buoy line, felt stinging/sensation and now have large raised red area on my back. Also hives have spread all over my trunk and upper thighs.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Snorkeling monday, hives were there yesterday when I woke up and still here today. The area on my back is still red and raised.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take thyroid hormone replacement daily.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dermatologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

this could be a bad rope burn which could be infected.

hives can often be from a bad allergic reaction.

you need to see a doctor about these hives.

you may need oral steroids and antihistamines like benadryl 50mg to help calm down the hives

you might need a course of antibiotics to help your hives to calm down.

you might need steroid creams or even an epinephrine shot if the allergy is bad.

do you have a hospital or ER close to you where you can see a doctor about the hives?

do you want to upload a clear photo of the hives on your back here. I would be happy to look at it.