Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

If I have a seafood allergy (shellfish and regular fish) can

Customer Question

If I have a seafood allergy (shellfish and regular fish) can I eat something that contains anchovy? My lean cussine meatloaf indicates anchovy as one of the ingredients. Who would have thought?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: 3 years ago I went into anaphalactic (spelling?) shock and had to have 4 epi shots and my heart rate kept going down and difficult to get back up. This was after eating shrimp. Then back in Houston saw an allergy doc who tested me and said I was allergic to shell fish and the test for "longfish" was inconclusive so not to eat any fish unless I can in for an 8 hour test.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dermatologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Well, The major groups of seafood that can trigger allergic reactions are-

Vertebrates fish and Invertebrates fish.

Anchovies is classified under Vertebrates fish.

As, you a seafood allergy, So please don't eat Anchovies.

• Vertebrates fish-
    includes salmon, cod, mackerel, sardines, herring, anchovies, tuna, trout, haddock, John Dory, eels, rays.
  • Invertebrates fish ( Shellfish)
    Crustaceans including prawns/shrimps, lobster, crab, crayfish, yabbies.
    Molluscs including oysters, mussels, clams, octopus, squid, calamari, abalone, sea slugs.

People who are allergic to one fish are usually (but not always) allergic to most other fish.

I would suggest that you should not eat Anchovies, it can result in severe allergic reaction.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear,

Please note that-

As you have seafood allergy, so COMPLETE AVOIDANCE OF THE OFFENDING VERTEBRATE OR INVERTEBRATE IS MANDATORY.

And , anchovies lie under Vertebrates fish.

Please don't eat it.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh