DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

I broke out in severe Psoriasis all over my body and in a

Customer Question

I broke out in severe Psoriasis all over my body and in a lot of areas has turned to plaque psoriasis after I got strep throat. My first dermatologist prescribed me prednisone and it works really well until I go off of it and it flares up really bad. I switched doctors because I didn't feel I was getting the care I wanted. My new Doctor is working with my insurance to get me on the drug Cosentyx but meanwhile told me to take cyclosporine. My question is it ok generally speaking to take both prednisone and cyclosporine at the same time to have faster and better results for psoriasis?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

No, there is no such generalization.

I would not use cyclosporine unless prednisone did not work.

I would then use cyclosporine alone, or only with a very small dose of prednisone.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But would taking both Prednisone and cyclosporine increase the results or do they do the same thing? I'm wondering why they don't prescribed at the same time.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hi

This is the first expert.

They are not typically used together since they increase side effects together.

They also make each others blood levels unreliable.

You are really talking about an auto immune disease here

This is the venue of internal medicine. I am a double board certified internist.

Here daily to answer your questions.