Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a scalp wound that is painful and swollen and looks

Customer Question

I have a scalp wound that is painful and swollen and looks like from the pictures I've been able to take on head that it is yellow in color. should I get penicillin?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: I've had it for less than a week. I can't sleep on the side where the sore is. Tylenol seems to help
JA: Is there anything else the Dermatologist should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dermatologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

If its a wound, and is discharging yellow pus. Swollen and tender, then the possibility of it being infected is great.

You will need a prescription for the proper antibiotics. And a culture from the wound should be sent to identify which organism is causing the infection and which antibiotic in particular it is sensitive to.

So, the best course of action is to visit your PCP as soon as possible and have this examined, culture sent and started on empirical antibiotics like Co Amoxiclav and an anti inflammatory.

Let me know if you have any queries related to this.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Regards.