Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

My boyfriend is trying to figure out what type of bite he

Customer Question
has....
My boyfriend is trying to figure out what type of bite he has.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
6/8/2016
Dermatologist: DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor replied 1 year ago
DIEGO BONILLA

Hello

This is Dr. Diego, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

What is your question? Do you have a picture of the bite?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hold on one second
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just sent the pic can you see it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you need more information?

Thanks for the picture. Where did he get the bite? It's the are itchy? Any new furniture or hotels?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are itchy; was on vacation
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no new furniture
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
was at hotels; but checked hotel thoroughly for bed bugs

Where did he go on vacation? Tropical areas?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was in the desert area; like arizona grand canyon. do you have any ideas what is it

The characteristics of the lesions could be from insect bite including mosquitos, bed bugs and ants. Given the localization of the lesion is likely to be a mosquito. Is any other area of the body involved?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no just in that area of the picture; no other area on the body
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think it can be from heat and sweat or do you think its a mosquito bite?

In that case a mosquito bite is the most likely cause. It's unlikely to be from heat and sweat specially if is only in a specific area. Sometimes fungal infections can present like this. Let me know if you have any other question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you think its just a mosquito bite? and no other type of bite? or if its fungal how can we tell

Yes I think is likely to be a mosquito bite. Bed bugs usually cause lesions in different parts of the body. Fungal infections trend to get worse with time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so you dont think its bed bugs

It's possible but unlikely because is only in one area of the body.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it was bed bugs there would be bites all over the body? sorry I am just concerned. Do you think it could be chigger bites or ants

Bed bugs produce more local inflammation and they have an anticoagulant that causes the skin to show dots of blood on the affected area. Ants could cause this lesion too but mosquito bites are by far more common.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
heres my quesition if you had to diagnose this what would you think?

It's likely to be a mosquito bite. Please rate my answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok he says it doesn't appear to be like a mosquito bite like he usually gets though?

I already mentioned that this could be secondary to other kind of insect bites like ants and bed bugs. The differential for this kind of lesion is broad but under your specific circumstances other things to consider are drug eruption and allergic rash. With all the information you gave me, those are the possibilities. Please rate my answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
alright thanks for your help is there anything we should do

He can apply a hydrocortisone cream if the lesions are itchy. If the lesions get worse or don't improve in 5-7 days he should check with his PCP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
keratosis pilaris is there any cure for that if thats what it is?

Is an atypical skin problem. It usually solves by itself. The picture you sent me doesn't look like keratosis pilaris. Please rate my answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

Please rate my answer on the link.

DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor