dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I got big swollen pimples couple of months and I took

Customer Question

I got big swollen pimples couple of months and I took antibiotics prescribed by my doctors pimples were slowly gone but they have left dark spots which r annoying and I don't feel confident I am trying natural remedies such as tea tree oil but not much change please help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for asking your question. What you have is post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. A very good prescription product for this is Finacea foam for the entire face in the morning and Tretinoin cream at night, again to the entire face. These are good products since they will get rid of the acne AND help with the pigmentation problem. Tri-Luma is an excellent product for the spots themselves. This should be applied twice a day. These require a prescription. Would you like over the counter suggestions too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Than you doctor
I would also like to know the over the counter suggestion and how long does the prescribed medicine and overcounter normally take to totally fade the spots
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what is available in Australia. However, products containing Hydroquinone are very good: Melaquin Complex I think might be available. Nu Derm Clear which is by Obagi is very good.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

They both contain Hydroquinone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Mela D by LaRoche Posay is a very good product that does not contain Hydroquinone. Also Lumixyl is one that is hydroquinone free. The US is more liberal about Hydroquinone than Europe. Some investigators feel it might cause skin cancer.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. It does take a long time to fade the spots. t least two months. So be patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow yeah in Australia most stuff is prescribed by doctors my GP prescribed those antibiotics when I asked him about the spots he said I may need to get laser for removing them which I don't want to get.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Actually, laser is a bad idea. It generally makes things worse. The heat and energy can cause post inflammatory pigmentation too. It is good for many types of pigmentary problems but not this one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your answers
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

you are very welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's all for now
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Good. Feel free to get back to me.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

If you are pleased with my answer, kindly rate me. If you are not pleased, continue to ask questions and advice. You can still ask questions after you rate my answer. Thank you.